WhatsApp is rolling out the iOS to Android chat migration feature, which was announced at the Samsung Unpacked presentation last month. It’s presently only available on iPhones and a few Samsung phones. Here’s how to officially relocate or transfer WhatsApp chats from iPhone to Android without having to pay for any third-party software.
Migrating chats WhatsApp from to iPhone to Android used to be a major pain. Because Android saves WhatsApp conversations to Google Drive, this is the case. On iOS, backups are saved to iCloud. Both are non-interchangeable and have separate formats.
Users had little choice but to rely on third-party tools, which they had to pay for. With WhatsApp’s new chat migration feature, this appears to be changing. Data can currently be transferred from iOS to some Samsung Android phones.
For the time being, only Samsung devices running Android 10 or higher, as well as the Samsung Smart Switch app version 22.214.171.124 or higher, will be able to migrate their conversation history from iPhones. The rest of the prerequisites and actions are outlined below.
Samsung phone with Android 10 and Smart Switch 126.96.36.199.
WhatsApp 188.8.131.52 or higher on iOS.
WhatsApp 184.108.40.206 or higher on Android.
A USB-C to Lightning Cable (included in the box with newer iPhones).
Step 1- Connect iPhone and Android via Cable
- Unlock your Samsung phone and use a USB Type-C to Lightning cable to connect it to your iPhone.
- On your Samsung device, you’ll see a notification that says, “Choose an app for USB devices.”
- Select Smart Switch and press the Just Once button.
- It will now request that you check your iPhone. On the iPhone, tap Trust to provide access.
- On the Samsung phone, press Next.
Step 2- Select Data to Transfer
- Wait for Smart Switch to perform a data transfer search.
- When you’re through, it’ll show you everything you can get from your iPhone, including calls, texts, apps, photographs, videos, and more.
- Choose iPhone Apps and Data (along with any other data you want to move).
- When the list of apps on your iPhone appears, make sure WhatsApp is selected and then click Install.
Step 3- Scan QR Code
- Smart Switch will now show a QR code that may be used to transfer WhatsApp conversations.
- Scan the QR code on the Samsung phone with your iPhone’s camera.
- After scanning the QR code, a request to open WhatsApp will display. It should be tapped.
- This will take you to the iPhone’s ‘Move Chats to Android’ interface.
Step 4- Start WhatsApp Transfer from iPhone to Android
- On the iPhone, go to the ‘Move Chats to Android’ tab and tap Start.
- It will then state “Continue on your new phone” and the data transfer will commence.
- On the Samsung phone, you’ll be able to track the progress. Make sure the screen is turned on and the cord is not disconnected.
- Then, on the Samsung phone, select Go to the Home screen.
- Wait for it to sort the data you’ve transferred.
- The progress may be viewed in the notification panel.
Step 5- Open and Setup WhatsApp
- WhatsApp will be installed on your Android phone immediately.
- Open it and log in with your phone number.
- You’ll be taken to the page titled “Importing chat history.” Start by pressing the Start button.
- Permissions for contacts and files should be enabled. Wait for the chat history to be imported.
- When you see the message “Import completed,” click Next.
- Once you’ve entered your name, you’re ready to begin.
You may now use WhatsApp on your Android phone with your iPhone’s chat history. Your Android phone now has access to all of your WhatsApp chats and messages data, including images and videos.
This was all about using the official chat migration feature to relocate or transfer WhatsApp chats and data from Android to iPhone. While this feature is currently only available on a few Samsung phones, we anticipate it becoming available on more Android smartphones in the near future. This would eliminate the need to pay for third-party software or lose WhatsApp conversations while switching phones. Keep an eye out for updates.